On 6 Jun 2008, at 10:48, James Jeffery wrote:

I have a suckerfish dropdown, as i feel it is the best approach for cross-browser (but not A grade) dropdowns. The website i am working on is a youth centre's. The target audience is the community, which can be young or very old. The very old "may" be using IE 5 on older computers (at a guess). If they have JS disabled and are using IE 5 then they cannot view the navigation links.

Whats your views on the best way around this?

I was thinking about sing PHP to determine what browser the user is using and if JS is enabled. If its IE 5 and it is not enabled then when a user clicks a link from the navigation menu the page will load but under the navigation will be another div that lists the links uder that sub heading.

|   nav   nav   nav  nav  nav  nav  nav |
|   sub link                         sub link |
|   sub link                         sub link |
|   sub link                         sub link |
all the other content goes on as normal

Only users who are using a browser that does not support the hover psudeo selector on anything other than a elements will see that box. It will be generated using PHP before the page loads.

I was thinking about doing that for all the users, and have that displaying regardless, but that may add confusion to the user experience i feel.

Anyone ideas?

James, If I understand you correctly you want your 'fallback' navigation system to appear only if the user is using IE5 and does NOT have javascript enabled, right?

How about putting your fallback elements inside a conditional comment targeting IE5, and also inside that comment include a call to a javascript that removes those elements. That way, the fallback elements only appear in IE5 and even then they get expunged if javascript is enabled.

If the user has anything other than IE5 the elements are never seen and the javascript is not called.

AFAIK Microsoft has not made any mention of Conditional Comments being retired in future versions of IE, so it should be fairly futureproof.

--
Rick Lecoat