On 2008/06/10 12:20 (GMT+0200) Gunlaug Sørtun apparently typed:
> Since all browsers can also resize fonts (one way or another)
> independent of page zoom, "relative sizes" risk creating even more
> problems when both font resizing and page zoom are used.

> The latest mobile browsers also incorporates page zoom and font resizing
> in various forms in order to enhance the experience, so the more freedom
> we give those browsers to perform their job the easier it'll be for the
> end-user.

"Resize" as generally applied within web design discussions doesn't seem to
have have a good clear meaning. It seems to me that in most cases it is
assumed equivalent to using a text sizer or text zoom function in the browser
or built into the page with alternate stylesheets or script, tools designed
for use as defense mechanisms to be used against the designer's wish for text
some arbitrarily smaller size than whatever the user's default is (body
{font-size: 76%}), or some arbitrary size that disregards user wishes or
needs (px text sizes).

OTOH, the possibility to "resize" at the base level, in the browser's default
settings, gets ignored, or assumed to be something that users almost
universally leave unchanged.

As to the former we should remember that defense mechanisms, including page
zoom, are exactly what they are. When the design respectfully and competently
embraces the idea that the viewport is fluid and that not everyone uses
800x600 or 1024x768 or any particular other screen resolution default text
size, then the need to defend and the ugly consequences of defense are avoided.

Get your work to work across a reasonable range of text size to em width
viewport ratios and the need to defend is reduced; possibly, and ideally, to
zero.
--
"Where were you when I laid the earth's
foudation?"                    Matthew 7:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/