From: "Jason Grant" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:30:36 +1000
To: wsg wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: [WSG] MA in web development

Hello everyone,

Last night a proposal has been hinted at me to put together an MA course in
web development for a UK University. That's all I have been told so far.

I was wondering what people were feeling such a course ought to contain.

I have my views of course, but would not like to influence the feedback at
this point.

All suggestions are very much appreciated.

Regards,

Jason Grant
www.flexewebs.com/semantix

Andreas Boehmer
User Experience Consultant

Addictive Media
Phone: (03) 9386 8907
Mobile: 0411 097 038
http://www.addictivemedia.com.au
Consulting | Accessibility | Usability | Development

I am currently enrolled in a Web Design and Interactive Media BS degree program. I have been teaching myself for almost 4 years at home intensively prior to going into this venture. I have to say that is offering this degree is teaching its students many things that are not compliant with the international standards in general.

The fact of the matter is that I believe that the entire school is in it for the money more thne teaching the students the right and professional way to be a web designer and developer. As far as curriculum goes be sure they teach the standards or dont get involved at all.First off. Secondly I would suggest that you include a few server side programming languages like PHP and JSP. Be sure to also cover in depth DBMS as well.

Other universities such as the University of Scranton offer MS degrees in Software Engineering which you may get some ideas from as well.

http://academic.scranton.edu/department/gradsch/gsofteng.htm

Hope that helps. I know after reading that I have decided to quit my current college and go to the University of Scranton as I believe I will actually learn things there unlike at my current accredited college.