I have used mailto: on the websites I have designed, which usually include a
reference to my email and I haven't really had issues with spam. Spam
filters on Gmail seem to be doing a fine job of filtering out the mail I
don't want to see, so I'm not all that concerned about having my email
address in a mailto:

I don't know what others have experienced though...

Jason