Michael,
In many ways we are the lucky ones - if you are doing SQL server day to
day, or pretty much anything other than HTML then there are no standards
at all - just 'on time/budget' or 'not/fired'.

Stuff like SOX has given some impetus to doing things 'the right way'
instead of the quick way, but still not nearly as well documented.

Mike