Can someone help me out with this validation?....

this is a javascript for my menu which is inside my html page.

*Line 154, Column 39*: document type does not allow element "li" here.

            $back = $('<li class="back"*>*<div
class="left"></div></li>').appendTo

 ‚úČ <http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html?uri=;errmsg_id=64#errormsg>

The element named above was found in a context where it is not allowed. This
could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements -- such as a "style"
element in the "body" section instead of inside "head" -- or two elements
that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML
documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this error can
create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-closing" tags
for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML document may cause the
parser to infer the end of the "head" section and the beginning of the
"body" section (where "link" and "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported
error).

--
Fuji kusaka