It's completely irrelevant these days, but long file names, i.e.
anything with more than 8 characters in the name or 3 in the
extension, are implemented on FAT file systems via a messy hack.  The
'real' file name is the short name (i.e. "Progra~1") and the rest of
the file name is stored in extra hidden directories, it's all very
messy and inefficient.

ISTR this came in with Windows 95, so if you want to use web servers
that run under MS-DOS, you might have a problem :)

- Korny (showing his age)

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Ian Chamberlain
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My memory is fading fast Joe, but as I recall our first windows based web
> server (from Bob Denny's book) fixed the 8.3 limitation.
>
> We did continue creating .htm for a while after that but only out of habit.
>
> I can't remember the exact date but I would quess that we have been largely
> free from that limitation for well over  ten years.
>
> Regards
>
> Ian

Kornelis Sietsma korny at my surname dot com
kornys at gmail dot com on google chat -- kornys on skype
"I've never seen a man eat so many chicken wings"