Rob Enslin wrote:
Although not a standards-based question (I think) I wonder if anyone has the 'fix' for it?

The page: http://www.servicemanagement.co.uk/new.htm

Maybe better to trigger "standard mode" in browsers first, and add fixes
later.

The combination of declarations you have now is a somewhat new one - to
me at least. An XML declaration has no place above an HTML DTD in an
HTML document, and the DTD is incomplete and triggers "quirks mode" in
all browsers...

<http://gutfeldt.ch/matthias/articles/doctypeswitch/table.html>

If you really want "quirks mode" rendering, you may as well delete both
these lines...

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" >

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no