I have had the same question fluttering around in my head.

the thought process for me begins with Accessibility:
"can other people still get to the search result that the auto complete is
attempting to show if the are using a screen reader or have javascript turned
off, or there are bugs (like viewing via a mobile device)".

Then there is the standards way of marking up information and following all the
other best practice ways of doing things.

William