I completely understand everyone's comments on image enlargement using
professional graphic applications vs. browsers using their cheesy routines.
What I didn't know was if I had missed any use of proper techniques within
CSS to achieve what I needed.

My first post exposes the approaches I am familiar with, but with ample
hesitations. I did consider slicing a section of the image in say,
Photoshop, and using it to repeat the background within a different element.
I felt then, it was an unclean "approach", at least with the way I presented
it. If so, I would still like your (or anyone's) opinion on the "right" way
to do it. If you don't mind, please peek at my initial post while offering
your valuable opinions.

Regarding the use of CSS 3:

> So, if the image is smaller in width (like in my case), should I guess
> there's no way to stretch it without CSS 3 support ?
>
> Nope, not that I know of -- at least not as a background image. You can
>> clip them, you can repeat them, you can offset them... but you can't stretch
>> them.
>

>From what I've read so far, I believe you can. Please refer to the following
link:

http://webdesign.about.com/od/examples/l/blbgsizeexample.htm