Barney,

One other thing you might want to check is how (mime type, character encoding)
your web server is serving the file.

If you are using a server side language then most (if not all) can send http
headers to a browser, including a content type header. In PHP, for instance,
you'd do this to send an UTF8 encoded html file.
header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8');
and this to send a UTF8 encoded xml file (and so on ad nauseam)
header('Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8');

If you are just serving static HTML pages, without middleware in the way, then
check your web server config for how it sends text/html pages. In Apache
you'll find this in the main config file, if you don't have access to that
then try the .htaccess methods.

Of course, whether or not your document includes characters from other
character sets that cannot be mapped to UTF8 is another matter ;) - if the
browser cannot render the character you'll see the odd ?? characters in their
place.

Cheers
James