Thanks,
But I was afraid updating that way might put version 7 on, I can use net renderer to give me ie 7 previews. The problem is that the renderers, and ies for mac, dont render png transparency hacks very well... Anyway sorted it all out with the link provided on previous post-very handy thanks for the links.
-best
kevin