On 18 Jul 2008, at 13:54, James Jeffery wrote:
I am developing my first Ajax application. It links in with google maps and will allow users to anonymously plot markers on a map with images.

There will be various clickable items such as: "Get All Markers" which will return a list of links to markers plotted in a given area. I am struggling to decide on what element to use for the clickable element.

If I use an <a> the href will contain a #

Why? Can't you have a sensible fallback (e.g. in case the user middle clicks to open in a new tab).

and if I use a button I would need to create a form just to create a button that won't be sending any data, which seems overkill.

Why? Buttons don't have to appear in forms.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/