I'm not sure if this has already been addressed (the original subject of the
email), but have you tried using something like firebug in firefox and
tracing the css hierarchy?

As for editors Aptana is my editor of choice for any open source web project
(http://www.aptana.com/). It even does Ruby on Rails if you want to push
your projects that direction. Crimson Editor was an excellent text editor,
but I think its a bit old, and has moved to the Emerald Editor, but I
haven't used the new version. If you are an ASP fan but do the occasional
PHP work then the new Expression Studio would be a good choice, of course
since it's an MS product you'll have to pay for it.