Hi

There is some really good information in all these posts. I'd also go so far
as to say look at the theory of developing specifics for IE6. There is a
gaining movement around to start phasing out IE6 support - look at 37signals,
I think they begin IE6 phase out this week or next. They've done their maths
and taken a gamble. Hopefully it'll spark something.
For all my new clients, I have added a clause in the contract which states
we'll be phasing out IE6 support beginning 2009- their site may work in IE6
after the phase out date but for full support they should use a better browser
- Firefox, Opera, Safari, IE7, Konquerer etc etc

I pitch it to them that in the long run they'll actually be spending more
money developing for IE6 (a browser which is patched by upgrading to IE7) than
in adding features that could bring in more revenue. They'll also be
prolonging the shelf life of a browser which has the functional equivalence of
5 year old cheese at the back of a fridge, making it more difficult to add
features next year.

That said, allowing a site to be unusable in IE6 is going to be alienating.
Giving users some graceful degradation while making it known that they'll get
normal functionality by spending 10 minutes upgrading is a better way to go.
An example - I have a rounded corner generator that uses Imagick to create
images on the fly (cached  for later use) - the images are 24 bit PNGs with an
alpha channel - because I don't know what the background will be. In IE6, the
user gets square boxes -- perfectly functional as they can still use the site
-- when a client asks me about it I remind them of our upgrade path
conversation. If they still want it I tell them they'll get something that'll
be uglier than square boxes... and so on.

In the end, do you want to spend hours developing hacks for IE6 or just nicely
push people into an upgrade path?

HTH
James