as to say look at the theory of developing specifics for IE6. There is a gaining movement around to start phasing out IE6 support - look at 37signals, I think they begin IE6 phase out this week or next. They've done their maths and taken a gamble. Hopefully it'll spark something.
[snip...]
In the end, do you want to spend hours developing hacks for IE6 or just nicely push people into an upgrade path?
OT and not much to do with IE6 .png solutions but instead, the ongoing support of IE6 aspect of this thread.

I was advised by a lesser Microsoft management bot that many corporate organisations have a 'latest minus one' policy, which means only running up to the previous version of any current browser. This will hopefully mean that when IE8 is fully released many corporate techs will then upgrade to IE7, ideally resulting in a bulk upgrade of the costly IE6.

I hope this has some truth.