A table is a good option for static calendars. i.e a grid. On the flip side,
using a list based calendar, you'll be able to present it in different ways by
altering the style rules for the elements, e.g as a pseudo-grid, a list etc
etc.
And of course, there's no reason why you can't do both options - the data used
in the calendar is separate to the HTML, right ?

HTH