Hello everyone,

Will try to keep it simple.

I have much experience of working on various e-commerce systems and know the
following:

   1. Serious e-commerce systems are very complex (i.e. Magento)
   2. 90% of e-commerce systems are not accessible, let alone standards
   compliant
   3. Even templated UI solutions tend to require much work to 'clean up' -
   largely to do with complexity of the problem at hand
   4. It takes a long time to develop a fully-featured, standards compliant
   e-commerce solution (usability aside)

Magento is one of the best I have come by so far in terms of Open Source,
but it's not standards compliant. Quick example why: checkout does not work
with JS off and it uses in line JS to work. :-| Dirty, hacky and not
necessarily good enough for some clients, although most tend not to care as
long as it 'works'.

Still today I am searching for an Open Source solution (or a cheap-ish one)
that does the job nicely, but no luck so far after many hours invested into
finding one.

Standards wise the best one so far seems to be: http://www.tradingeye.com/ ,
but I haven't really thoroughly tried it yet.

Whoever quotes $500 for developing a shopping cart is either just selling
'ideas' or does not have a first clue about what an e-commerce system is.

Kindest regards,

Jason

PS: Oh yeah, how can I forget that automatically selling
digital/downloadable products through the solution is (in my opinion) a
must-have feature which Magento does not have and that functionality poses
various other standards-related implementational issues with it.