Hi Elizabeth,

true, there has only been one successful litigation action.

The people behind a certain Grocery site might be getting a little nervous
at the moment :)

What worries me is that there are many larger government sites in Australia
that are a lot less accessible than that one... I wonder how long it will
take for this particular dagger to fall? I have no doubt that fall it will -
a question of when not if.

Cheers, Andrew

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Elizabeth Spiegel <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Tee
>
> In Australia, websites are covered by Disability Discrimination
> legislation,
> although there has only been one successful suit to date.  Bruce Maguire
> was
> awarded damages of $20,000 against SOCOG in 2000: full details here:
>
> http://www.hreoc.gov.au/disability_rights/decisions/comdec/2000/DD000120.htm
>

> Note that the target was not by any measure a 'small business'.  HREOC
> provides advisory notes
> http://www.hreoc.gov.au/disability_rights/standards/www_3/www_3.html
>

> Elizabeth Spiegel
> Web editing