> Setting backgrounds is one of the quickest ways to check line-ups
while designing and troubleshooting.
> Another technique I use daily is to invalidate CSS rules instead of
commenting them out during troubleshooting.

I second these techniques. I use bg colours as well and invalidate CSS
by putting an "x" in front of the rule, e.g.

xmargin:2em;

which has the same effect Georg described.

There's also a couple of standard IE bandaids, i.e. "height:1%" to give
the element layout, "position:relative" and "display:inline" (for
double-margin bug on floats), sometimes also "float:none".

I found it most rewarding to develop in parallel. I usually complete one
element and immediately test in IE6 and IE7. This prevents you from
having interrelated IE issues. Google "IETester" for a good app to
install both on the same machine. Rarely do I need to amend for Safari
(PC) or Opera.

Cheers,
Jens

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is
or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any
attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of
it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of
the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error please advise
the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete all copies.
Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information
contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not
secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents
of this message or attached files.