If coding for the most standards compliant browser, then hack for IE, then you wouldn't code for FF first. Maybe third.

It however comes with the best developer tools on the market, which makes it easier to developer for, and that comes from someone that is working as the product manager for Opera Dragonfly. We are working to catch up with and surpass the likes of Firebug and friends, but we are not there yet.

It is probably best in my opinion to develop while checking in at least two of the major none-IE/Trident browsers engines (preferably three), especially after making major changes, just to make sure you are not relying on a browser bug or a vendor specific property. Then make it work for IE using conditional comments, as they are much less frail than css hacks and browser sniffing. With CC's you can override the properties IE gets incorrect or doesn't support by using the CSS cascade, and you never have to worry about them affecting the other browsers.