I have also read and believe that you code correctly and, yes, the browsers
that are web standard compliant should not need any hacks. However there will
most likely be the need for IE6 hacks.

--- Original Message ---
From:David McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent:Mon 9/1/08  6:55 am
To:wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subj:[WSG] Code for Firefox, hack for IE

Hi,

For a while now, I've been operating on the principle "Code for
Firefox, hack for IE".

That is, writing CSS for the most standards-compliant browser, and
then making adjustments for non-standard behaviour.
I said this in a meeting last week to argue a point and my boss said
"who says?".

I could have said "me", but maybe that's not a good enough answer.
Somewhere some years ago I read this, or heard someone at a conference
or something and it got stuck in my head.

Is this the way anyone works?
Is it the best way to work?
Does anyone know where I got this idea from? Book? Blog? A bit of
googling this afternoon turned up not very much.

Thanks,
David