David McKinnon wrote:
For a while now, I've been operating on the principle "Code for Firefox, hack for IE".

Is this the way anyone works?

Apart from that I "code for the most standard compliant browsers
(plural) at present time, and then hack for various IE versions", I
think I'll go along with your principle.

FWIW: Firefox (3.01) is third on my list of reasonable compliant
browsers at the moment.

Is it the best way to work?

Well, it is rather time-consuming and impractical to "code for IE and
then hack for the other browsers", so I think you got that about right
too :-)

Does anyone know where I got this idea from? Book? Blog? A bit of googling this afternoon turned up not very much.

Maybe on this old note...
<http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=WhichBrowsers>

regards
        Georg