Thanks for all your replies, I'm getting stuck into jQuery and it seems
pretty good!

Cheers

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Breton Slivka
Sent: 18 September 2008 22:53
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Learning Javascript properly

jQuery is really good because, unlike some other frameworks, it
doesn't lock you into its little world. You're still coding in
javascript, and jQuery is just a really handy set of functions to help
you out with just the really frustrating parts.

It's really important to use a framework nowadays because of the vast
gulf there is in the behavior between the different browsers.
Frameworks eliminate hours of debugging by presenting just a single
simple interface to do many common tasks, that someone else has
already debugged to work cross browser. In my opinion, it should be
difficult to argue AGAINST using a framework, simply because
frameworks save so much time - and time is money! What are the
arguments against using a framework?

If there's something about "frameworks' that just rubs your colleagues
the wrong way, perhaps look into base2.js, IE7.js and IE8.js by Dean
Edwards. They're basically implementations of the standard w3c dom
interfaces, such that if a browser doesn't support the standard
correctly, his framework fills in the gap. With that, there's no
visible signs of a "framework", just a consistant cross browser dom
api. That's the basic principle anyway. I haven't tried it, myself, so
I can't tell you how well it really works.