To Susan and Jim,

Our core business is building sites with Drupal.  We focus on XHTML 1.0
strict compliance and are striving towards full adherence of the New
Zealand e-government web guidelines which cover accessibility, and
various other considerations.  We've found Drupal to be remarkably
pliable with regard to those changes.

Susan, the approach of altering modules that you described will
definitely cause you maintenance headaches.  I would encourage you to
learn as much as possible about Drupal's very sophisticated system of
both theme and functionality overrides (called "hooks" in the Drupal
world).

By judicious use of theme and module overrides and by building sites in
"multi-site" mode, you can achieve any sort of markup and form
alterations while simultaneously completely avoiding changes to Drupal
core code or 3rd party modules you might employ.  That makes future
updates of core and modules much much less painful.

Drupal also makes it easy to replace any interface text, either with
Drupal's full-blown internationalisation framework, or by using the
string replacement functionality introduced with Drupal 6.x (see your
settings.php file).

We (Egressive) actually chose Drupal as our core platform because of
it's community's surprisingly high awareness of web standards, and
because of the degree to which Drupal - by design - allows us to tweak
markup and user interface elements to comply with our preferred
standards.  It's an incredibly powerful, versatile system.

Hope that helps you.

Kind regards,

Dave

James O'Neill wrote:
> Susan,
>
> That give me an idea. I am just starting to learn PHP and Drupal so
> making changes on my own will be fun. I am looking forward to tacking some.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
>

>     I am currently working on a large Drupal project using lots of
>     modules.   I have created my own Theme that is 508 compliant (and
>     semantic) that I use to start with - headers, footers, content area
>     titles, main site navigation  that is based off the Garland theme.
>        No problem there.
>
>     Each module though that I work with I asses the code and then make
>     modifications to the base files if necessary to be compliant, and
>     most times it is necessary, though sometimes its only a couple of
>     little things.   It's not hard to do, but later upgrades are going
>     to be a b---  so I document every change hopefully to make it easier
>     later on.
>
>     It also depends on what "Ajax" functionality you choose to use, or
>     not use.  The more you use, the less compliant it becomes.
>
>     This is all so simplistic, don't know if any of it will help you.
>
>     --
>     Susan R. Grossman
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dave Lane = Egressive Ltd = [EMAIL PROTECTED] = m: +64 21 229 8147
p: +64 3 9633733 = Linux: it just tastes better = nosoftwarepatents
http://egressive.com ==== we only use open standards: http://w3.org
Effusion Group Founding Member =========== http://effusiongroup.com