On Oct 25, 2008, at 11:35 PM, Elizabeth Spiegel wrote:

Hi Ben

In Australia, HREOC is responsible for administering various anti- discrimination legislation, including the Disability Discrimination Act. (It comes under the banner of ‘equal opportunities’ rather than ‘human rights’.) One form of discrimination is offering a service to one group and refusing to offer it, or offering on less advantageous terms, to another group. For website designers/builders, this means that if you sell stuff (or even just offer free information) to the general public and present it in such a way that people with a disability (e.g. blind people using screen readers; people with movement disorders that make it difficult/impossible to use a mouse) can’t access it, you are breaking the law.

I am very curious how is it possible to enforce this law. I don't really know about this so I am just making assumption that assistive software have not been caught up with the latest W3C recommendation, and the fact the W3C calls it a 'recommendation' instead of 'regulation/rule'. How the law draws the line?

tee