The list-style appears on the <li> element. The selector "li a:hover"
matches the <a> element, which isn't display: list-item and so can't
have a list marker. Additionally, CSS provides no way to select an
element based on its children, so you can't match the list item based on
the hover state of a link inside it.

You could match li:hover, but that won't work in IE7 in Quirks mode or
IE6 at all.

Thanks, so its actually on a separate element in this case.. well that explains it.
and sorry bout that everyone I was unaware that my email client did that.