Brett Patterson skrev:
I am sorry, but I must ask. Are you saying that the term JavaScript is owned by Sun? Or just the Java part? And, yes, JavaScript is implemented in Internet Explorer.

I see that your question has already been answered. I will give some additional points.

Mocha was Brendan Eich's internal name during initial development at Netscape. It was renamed LiveScript by him and his fellow enginers, but changed to JavaScript by the *marketing* department.

JScript in MSIE 6 and 7 is *roughly* comparable to JavaScript 1.2 and to ECMAScript 3.0.

There is a document, produced by MS, that in very high detail outlines how JScript, and other browsers JS engines, differs from the spec. It is available at https://developer.mozilla.org/en/JavaScript

The JavaScript support in Safari, Google Chrome and Opera is *roughly* comparable to JavaScript 1.5, and some parts of JavaScript 1.6.

(Note: 99 % of the time when one curses the differences between browsers, it is not because of their deviations from each other in Java/J/EcmaScript, but how they differ from each other on the DOM.)

Mozilla is allowed by the ECMAScript spec to develop JavaScript as a superset to ECMAScript, and indeed they have. JavaScript 1.8 contains quite a few features that (probably) will not even make it into ECMAScript 3.1 (generators, iterators, let-blocks - personally I really like let blocks!).

A few years ago Netscape proposed a JavaScript 2.0 version. Many features from that proposal has made it into ActionScript and into JScript.NET (used on the server). ECMAScript 4.0 that was being worked upon altered from the original JS 2.0 proposal in some ways. That work has however been halted. One group, led by Mozilla and Adobe, wanted to *add* to ECMAScript in radical ways. One group, led by MS and Yahoo (Doug Crockford), wanted primarily a *subset*, getting rid of "the bad parts". They soon added features, though, and the language was in essence forked.

A compromise has been reached. "ECMAScript Harmony" will most probably be released as version 4, but not for a couple of years. And it will differ from the ES 4 proposal as stood in June.

It is the intention of the EcmaScript working group to release ES 3.1 next year, at which time they hope to have two interoperable and complete implementations. One will most probably be SpiderMonkey (Mozilla) and the other might be V8.

The new ES 4, i.e. "Harmony", will probably not see the light of day until 2010 or 2011.

Lars Gunther