ebiz wrote
Your problem is the sidebar, you need to make the position of it relative,
then the footer will pop underneath it. To keep the sidebar liquid just
float it to the right and use em's for the height, width etc.

Thats a good solution. Thanks for the feedback everyone, especially the great linky links. Im taking a close look at css blueprint grid and the css gala examples.

BTW whats the wsg consensus about using icons in nav menus?
I recently read an article that basically said if you take the text away most icons in nav menus become useless. Also they are quite time consuming to create....
I think they can be good for portal sites but thats about it.