On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:36:45 +1100, Jens-Uwe Korff wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> I'm running into big rendering differences between Google Chrome and Safari
> 3.1/PC.
> They are said to render pages the same, given that they're using the same
> Webkit engine.
>
> The differences seem to be mainly due to the different font rendering.
> Safari's fonts
> are way smaller, hence my boxes are smaller and shift up, breaking the layout.
>
> Anyone knows why this is so? Is there a workaround, i.e. a Safari-only CSS
> hack?

I don't know why there would be a difference between Safari and Chrome,
but I did some testing of font sizing across as many browsers as I could
a few months ago. I noticed that Safari tended to "round down" fractions
of a percent. So theoretical (calculated) percents may produce the effect
you notice.

I found that rounding up any fraction of 1% to the next
higher integer (or next .01em) to work well cross-browser.

This may not be your issue, but hope it helps.

Cordially,
David