> A question was asked early in this thread about what are the benefits of>
> using Flash? There's been no answer to that question. I was hoping to learn>
> some answers because I've been confused about why it's become so widely used>
> in eLearning. I think I see several factors but I also think I'm still>
> missing part of the puzzle.

Christie
Barrrrrrrrrh – to express my frustration about this general topic. I also agree
with most of what you’re saying. My first paid web work was developing online
learning products in the days before the term eLearning existed (showing my age
here). From what you are saying it sounds like the scene has changed little
over the last ten years. So from my observation the tide is not turning the
whole scene has been riddled with problems since the term got ‘eLearning’
gained buzz word compliant status. So I have couple of slightly different takes
on what you’re saying:
> 1. Teachers/trainers continue to be committed to linear, push> methodologies.

Plenty of teachers, trainers, training providers, universities, TAFEs, schools,
HR areas, etc are essentially lazy and can’t be bothered to actually understand
learning theory. This is why they ‘continue to be committed to linear, push
methodologies’, it’s easy to understand and cheep to develop. Vendor just give
the market what they want. > > 2. Teacher/trainer decision makers don't love
the web, possibly because they> can't control it.
> > 3. There appears to be broad acceptance of the theories of multiple types>
> > of intelligence and different learning styles by teacher/trainers, but no>
> > interest in learning how the web has evolved to meet those different needs.
So you’re saying they hate the web and still don't get it after all these
years. In my experience the real reason they hate it is fear; it shows them up
to be lazy, sloppy and in the worst cases bad at their jobs. The smart and
innovative teachers etc love the web because it is a great tool, full of
opportunities and it can be used to work around many of the problems of more
traditional media.

And now on to a small rant about Flash. I’m with others here – basically I’m
perplexed by the implication that Flash is some how cornerstone of good
eLearning, esp since so much of it is so bad. And here’s the problem and I’m
going to make some gross simplification to illustrate my point. Flash is
prominently a tool for supporting interaction with certain types of content. It
does not enable a whole bunch of other activities that could (should) be
included in supporting learning activity, such a peer discussion,
collaboration, testing and application of knowledge etc. So while eLearning is
predominately seen as Flash then eLearning is should not be viewed as a sound
approach to learning. The accessibility issue is a great summary of the problem
with Flash; it can be accessible but because it is often done badly it
generally isn’t. So a good tool often badly used.

And this is the reasons I have a problem with Flash...
Andrew
http://webgovernanceproblems.blogspot.com/