My advice below. Cheers, Gerard

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Ben Lau <bensan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are there any (seriously) bad implications of having empty DIVs around your
> HTML document? I try to avoid using them personally, but there are cases
> where the visual design has forced me to add empty divs (or spans) just to
> achieve the look.
> Apart from adding extra weight and cluttering the document, I understand
> screen readers do not pick up divs and spans?

I'm not expert about screen readers, but I did run a site I upgraded
through JAWS with some interesting results. The site had alot of
this to/speak out "blank" which wasn't ideal. Am not sure if it would

> Would I be better off to insert these meaningless decorative tags using
> javascript and modifying the DOM, while non-javascript users would see a
> more cut down version of the design? Do screen readers pick up javascript
> and events?

Javascript solution could work, but I would run your page through a
screen reader first and see if you're happy with the result. You can
download demo of JAWS from
http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/fs/jaws-product-page.asp

You'll probably identify other areas of content that could be improved
for screen readers. He's a good article about the topic
http://www.webaim.org/techniques/screenreader/