I'd suggest this as well, normally. However, it seems like how this is going to be used is to provide a list of news articles, and since it's a list it makes sense to use a list element for it's markup. At least that's what I inferred from the initial examples.

Mike at Green-Beast.com wrote:
Hi Essential,

I'm making a news plugin but I'm un-sure what
the best/most accesible way is to mark it up?

I'd suggest neither. I'd recommend something more conventional such as:

<h1>Our News</h1>

<h2>News Heading</h2>

Not as fancy, but I believe this is a simple, semantic, and accessible method.

Respectfully,
Mike Cherim
http://green-beast.com

Christian Snodgrass