HI Mathew

>So now a slight rant... I dont understand how:

>is better than:

 ><input type="checkbox" ...>

>?

3 points

1. The ARIA spec recommends the use of native semantics where ever possible:

"Use native markup when possible.

Use the semantic elements that are defined in the host markup
language. For example, with HTML or XHTML, it is better to use the
native checkbox than to use a div element with role checkbox as these
should already be accessible through your browser. There may also be
cases where ARIA can augment an existing element in the host language.
For example, a grid and gridcell elements can reuse the functionality
of a table when overlaying it. ARIA roles, states, and properties are
best used when the markup language does not support all the semantics
required. When a role attribute is added to an element, the semantics
and behavior of the element are augmented or overridden by the role
behavior." [1]

2. WAI-ARIA is not just for HTML, it is designed to be used with other
languages such as XUL and SVG. SVG does not contain any native markup
for controls, so this is a case where the ARIA roles for controls can
be useful.

3. If a developer wants a tri-state checkbox in HTML  it may be
appropriate to use

<input type="image"  role="aria-checkbox" aria-checked="mixed" ...>

example: http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/ARIA/tristatecheck.html

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#buildingaccessibleapplications

regards

stevef

2009/3/2 Mathew Robertson <mat...@optusnet.com.au>:

> [...]
> that extra help, but also those that simply make use of those features".
>
> For example: to using a serial console for text display, has been available
> since the first mainframes existed -> so braille devices worked too.  One
> would expect that new user interface paradigms could provide at least a
> similar equivalent -> in browser terms, it should have been possible to
> navigate with keyboard and screen-reader only, and it was (albeit it was
> quite clunky).
>
> So one variation of accesbility, is to support multiple languages.  Its easy
> to look back with hindsight, but it was pretty apparent that UTF8 and Unicode
> was the direction for accessible language support. This was available from
> about 1993 -> the real issue here appers that software vendors chose a
> different path (eg: Java choosing to use double-byte characters), then became
> committed to it. And indeed we now see that braille support has been added to
> Unicode, abeit only recently -> imagine the accessibility support that would
> currently be available, if Win95 had have support unicode natively (font
> rendering and keycode composition) from day dot...
>
> "alt" tags have been available since html 1, with its recommended practise to
> show blank for img's that dont mean anything. "longdesc" has been available
> since html 4 (1998).
>
> Using the tab-key to navigate between elements, has been available in pretty
> much all browsers, for a long time - however it was cumbersome.  However,
> from MSIE 4 (1997), tabindex became available (it took some time longer
> before Netscape had support for tabindex) -> this made it possible to produce
> decent navigation for web pages.
>
> Text language and direction was added in html 4 -> making Hebrew (et. al.)
> accessible.
>
> Finally, the "keypress" event handler has be around in various incarnations,
> not long afer Javascript was added to browsers.  Its not unreasonable to
> require web developers to acutally use it (as opposed to just relying on
> "click" events).
>
> So basically, the about 1995 is about right, depending on the specific
> technology implementation.
>
> So now a slight rant... I dont understand how:

> is better than:
>
>  <input type="checkbox" ...>
>
> ?
>
> ARIA is good in that it documents technology, based on best practise -> in
> particular, I like how the accelerator keys are defined, but some things
> appears to be re-inventing stuff that doesn't need it.  In fairness to the
> ARIA working group, I'm bound to have misunderstood the entire accessibility
> thing, so my opinion doesn't really matter.
>
> cheers,
> Mathew Robertson
>
> Note: I only speak English and I dont have a disability (except for maybe my
> mouth...) -> I'm just confident that developers shouldn't make any
> assumptions about how other people interface with technology.

with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG Europe

www.paciellogroup.com | www.wat-c.org