The argument continues to be shaky at best. "...compel a user..." in particular seems to display a fundamental misunderstanding of the realities of the web as a medium.

I wonder if anyone knows of any user studies around this question: Is this an often-requested feature? When available, is it a much-used feature? I would guess that the answer is "no" in both cases - but by all means prove me wrong!

Andrew

On Mar 25, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Rick Faircloth wrote:

As was mentioned, it's a "call to action".  Those who are familiar
with marketing will understand this concept.  Also, it a user-friendly
way to compel a user to bookmark the site for future reference without
jumping through the hoops the browsers require.

It's the same principle as putting "Call us today at 918-878-8787 for
more info."  Instead of just putting "918-878-8787".

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of David Dorward
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:14 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] add to favorites?

designer wrote:
Does anyone know of a modern, valid, reasonably cross-browser way to
provide a link on a page so that a user can add the page to favourites?
As far as I know, Microsoft are the only vendor to have implemented a
system for triggering bookmark/favourite adding from a webpage.

In my opinion, the lack of support is a good thing. I can think of two
reasons why you might want to have such a feature.

1. To help users who don't know how to use the feature their browser has
built in.

... but if they don't know how to add them, then they probably don't
know how to go back to them.

2. To cover up a "Oh, you have to love this website, please add it to
your bookmarks, pretty please" message with something resembling
something useful.

... which is just tacky.

Are there any other reasons?

--