On 26/03/2009, at 11:37 AM, Andrew Maben wrote:
To address your argument, you appear (as does OP) to be confused as to the context of "user benefit", "call to action".

I'm not at all confused as to what a user benefit is. You may have decided for yourself that websites have no place crossing the conservative browser-site line you've drawn in the sand, but you must concede that others may be more liberal when drawing the same line. I personally believe that websites provide context to the browser, context that website authors can leverage to inform their user. Adding a browser bookmark might have a specific benefit for your website, which when described may make more sense to your user than the abstract task of performing the task on their own. For example, a weather site may explain the benefits of bookmarking the site in terms of having ready access to the weather. Why not provide the functionality (if available) to add the bookmark then and there? You never know, other vendors might recognise the user-benefit and standardise the behavior!

Likewise, RSS/Atom feed subscription functionality in the browser is very abstract. To me, "let me know when Andrew adds new photos to this album" makes more sense than "subscribe to RSS 2.0". To laymen, the distinction is potentially more so.

As for your second paragraph, apart from affording you the opportunity to offer a completely gratuitous insult, and while broadly true it is entirely irrelevant to the question at hand.

The question was whether or not the use of proprietary browser functionality "forced" all users to use those proprietary functions, which to me is a highly relevant question. To be clear, I don't think that the use of proprietary functionality forces anything on anyone when used appropriately. "Appropriately" being the key word there, and where people such as you and I may sometimes disagree.

Cheers,

Nathan de Vries