I agree with you on pretty much everything. My point is that I wish there was more detailed analysis of users with JS etc.

Lets take the example of a social networking site that earns revenue by pay per click advertising. If we assume that maybe 10% of users don't have JS, it is also possible that these users are not going to be heavy internet users if they are using outdated browsers an using an inferior (non-JS) version of the site. Therefore, it is probable that more than 90% of the site's revenue would be coming from the 90% of users with JS. In other words "visitors with JS installed" might not be a useful metric. I accept that mobile phones and many other things could also account for visitors without JS, but that just proves my point further that the simple with-and-without-JS metric is not that informative. I would be happy if I was proved wrong and that these 10% of people with abnormal browsers did account for 10% of revenue, but I doubt it.

How about measuring the percentage of the total time spent on the site spent by users with JS, or better still, the percentage of clicks on adds by users with JS?

I agree that it is hard to fault progressive enhancement, but what about when we get on to flash, silverlight etc. With those technologies, providing a html alternative probably adds significant developer time.

I am sure we could all find great examples of sites that are successes and are great examples of progressive enhancement, but I would be really interested if anyone knew of a site that failed because it didn't cater for users without JS or flash.