Jens-Uwe,

on Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 03:45 wsg@webstandardsgroup.org wrote:

> on an ASP.NET-driven site we'd like to use background images for
> flexible-width submit inputs. Due to the .NET limitation we cannot
> use the <button> tag and are stuck with the following syntax:

> <input type="submit" value="Button Text" />

> Did you ever style these submit inputs with background images that
> allowed a flexible width?

I tried that some years ago, but didn't find a well working solution.
It might be an approach to wrap the input with some spans and style
this construct all together.

But I would suggest - and boy, I don't do that often - to replace the
inputs with buttons by unobtrusive javascript and use a default
styling for javascript turned off. But beware! If you need to support
IE6 and you've got more than one submit-button, you'll run into
serious problems because IE6 will send all buttons with type="submit"
with the request. So you'll probably have to submit the form by
javascript too.

regards

  Martin