On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 04:00:27 pm Mark Harris wrote:
> Henry Mencia wrote:
> >  So you just have serif or sans serif  in the font-family?
>
> Pretty much, unless a client specifies otherwise (and I'll try to talk
> them around).
>
> The biggest cost I have seen in web design since 1996, when I started,
> is the perceived need to make the web like the printed page. That, and
> the desire to make it pixel-identical in multiple browsers.

Amen to that, in fact I'd suffix the pixel identical thing with " and Internet
Explorer". It (IE) is probably the costliest burden in web design and
development over the last 5 years at least.

Fonts : Nothing to stop anyone from specifying a font list and the generic
family at the end of the list. That way you can aim for the font you like
best, then the font which most people have (they may be the same) and then
less common fonts you still want to display, then the family.
e.g I did a site primarily for linux users and specified the font as:

"DejuVu Sans Condensed",  FreeSans, Helvetica, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-
serif;

The first two are quite common on Linux (Liberation is also a good, open
source, Verdana like font), Helvetica is a common Mac font, the last three
pick up 99.9999% (tm) of the slack and sans-serif picks up those browsers
without any of them installed.

Once you get to sans-serif, you are at the mercy of  how the user or org has
configured the browser for sans-serif display. Some may set it to Times Roman,
some to Comic Sans. It'd be nice to try and avoid that ;)

Cool site for further reading : http://www.sansseriftype.com/

Cheers
James