Heya,

We've found a really strange issue with some CSS layout when serving a page
with XHTML 1.0 Transitional vs. XHTML 1.1 (or XHTML 1.0 Strict), in Firefox 3,
Safari & IE8. The exact same behaviour is seen using the HTML 4.01 versions of
the doctypes too.

>From what I've read<http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/>, the transitional
>doctypes will force these browsers into "almost
>standards<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Gecko%27s_%22Almost_Standards%22_Mode>"
> mode, but that should only effect the calculation of the height of table
>cells that contain just images, which is not the case here (all CSS layout).

It only affects a few elements on the page (see links below) and is driving us
mental.  We need to serve this page as transitional as it uses a 3rd party
service that requires an <iframe>. Anybody ever come across anything like this?

Served with strict doctype
screenshot<http://files.damianedwards.com/HTML401Strict.PNG>
Served with transitional doctype
screenshot<http://files.damianedwards.com/HTML401Transitional.PNG>
Regards,
Damian Edwards MSysDev (CSturt)
Readify | Senior Consultant
Microsoft MVP<https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Damian.Edwards>:
ASP/ASP.NET
Head Office | Suite 408, Life.Labs Building | 190 Harbour Esplanade | Docklands
| VIC 3008 | Australia
M: 0448 545 868 | E:
damian.edwa...@readify.net<mailto:damian.edwa...@readify.net> | C:
damian.edwa...@readify.net<sip:damian.edwa...@readify.net> | W:
www.readify.net<http://www.readify.net/>
[cid:image001.jpg@01C9F59A.ED216FD0]<http://readify.net/about-readify/press/readify-makes-2008-mis-strategic-100-list/>
The content of this e-mail, including any attachments is a confidential
communication between Readify Pty Ltd and the intended addressee and is for the
sole use of that intended addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, any
use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorized
and prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please contact the
sender immediately and then delete the message and any attachment(s).