> Here's the issue:
>
> We are working on a site that incorporates Russian text. It displays OK on
> our development server, but when transferring the files to the live server
> we get garbled output.
<…>
> However, the same file uploaded to the live server displays the last menu
> item incorrectly:
>
> http://www.imperial-russian-dating.com/utf8-test.php
>
> The file has been saved as utf8 encoded in the editor (Komodo) and then
> uploaded to each server.
>
> Any ideas ?

There are headers sent by your live server:
Connection:close
Content-Length:862
Date:Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:22:43 GMT
Server:Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
X-Powered-By:PHP/5.1.6

Take a look at Content-Type header: it specifies charset as iso-8859-1. Charset
specified in HTTP has preference over charset in META. If you have
access to your
server configuration look for AddDefaultCharset directive in Apache
config. You can either
change it to UTF or comment it out.

Regards,
Rimantas