I find the text resizer concept (i.e. the 3 A's you mention) to be a poor
idea. Unless you are making those VERY large...more often than not, they
are unnoticed by those that need them because
a. those 3 A's are VERY tiny
b. those 3 A's are tucked away in some part of the site that will not be
easily noticed.

Thus, those that need them have no way of using them. Personally, I'd just
use the relative sizing so fonts will scale per user setting.

And following up on what someone else wrote: trying to teach your users to
use your site doesn't work. They won't take the time to learn. They will
simply leave. Most surfers have no patience for a site that requires
effort on their part.

Janice