On 2009-08-09 12:48, Stuart Foulstone wrote:
The hr element represents a paragraph-level thematic break, e.g. a
scene change in a story, or a transition to another topic within a
section of a reference book.

Correct, but rarely useful. The only indication given to users is visual. I do not think AT-technologies picks it up.

So the decision is  circumstantial, sometime you  use hr, and
sometimes use CSS 3 border background property.

I've not seen a case in a really long while where an hr would be useful, except for debugging.

<hr />  deprecated in XHTML and the correct mark-up is to use a header
which helps to help define that relationship.

No, it is not. But it is better avoided, as said by many in this thread.

--
Keryx Web (Lars Gunther)
http://keryx.se/