Hi Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. Your use is to have the border in table and this doesn't work though because it can't create a border for each tr row and a margin to separate each row.

Using "border-collapse: collapse" in table I can get the borders for tr.

CSS-D had a discussion back in 2006 .

http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/72271

I added your code to the example page, you can see it here:
http://lotusfromthemud.com/table/tr.html

Savl's suggestion also doesn't work. It's not ideal to add extra div in each td cell, though I can live with it if client insists the layout must be stayed as it is, the fact is, it doesn't quite work as it adds a border on each td cell, and in the layout, it has 5 td cells, using border-top (or bottom) on each td cell won't really give me the result.

I am ready to tell client technically this can't be done but this issue really struck me as it didn't occur to me a layout that simple can't be done with a table. Now it's more a personal quest than fulfilling client's requirement.

tee

That seems to work, unless I'm missing the point?

Bob