Its not specified any where that a single H1 is the right approach. SEO guys
have found that google search engine tends to read the H1 as the main
subject and decided to punish any page with more then one. the punishment is
not severe so not every one of the major sites obey.
In HTML 5 there is a huge discussion about the header
tag<http://dev.w3.org/html5/markup/header.html#header>and the
existance of h1 inside of it. my take is that this will not catch
and only google and bing indexing will set the way they want to structure of
pages to be.