Craig,
OK - that's a really interesting comment.

I had, as far as I knew, used the right formatting, the sitemap validates as
XML and Google's webmaster tools accepted it as a valid feed (after a few
tweaks!)

I followed this document, which I understand is the definitive source.
http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.php
and my sitemap looks pretty much like that - apart from a couple of
whitespace discrepancies.

The fact that it worked for some of the URLs makes me think it's not a
problem with the sitemap, but it's all interesting stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Craig Jones
<cr...@designawebnoosa.com.au>wrote:

>  Hi Andrew,
> This is my firts time trying to help...
> It doesn't appear that your sitemap is written in xml
> The sitemap should look like this
> <urlset xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9
>
> http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9/sitemap.xsd";>
> <url>
> <loc>www.unimelb.edu.au/campuses/maps.html</loc>
> </url>
> <url>
> <loc>www.unimelb.edu.au/campuses/maps2.html</loc>
> </url>
> </urlset>
> then submit you new sitemap in google webmaster tools
> Goodluck
> Craig
>

> Andrew Harris wrote:
>
> Yes, I know it's off topic, but I really need a hand with a mystifying
> problem. I've tried the google forums, but have received no replies.
> If there are any listers who understand the free Google Custom Search
> Engine, webmaster tools, sitemaps and indexing problems, then I'd
> really appreciate you contacting me directly in regards to some
> problems I'm having.
>
> Just to give an idea of my
> quandary...http://maps.unimelb.edu.au/http://maps.unimelb.edu.au/sitemap.xml
> (100+ URLs submitted 5 months
> ago)http://www.google.com/search?q=site:maps.unimelb.edu.au (34 results =
> pathetic!)http://go.unimelb.edu.au/6t6 (1 result = totally pathetic!)
>
> Hopefully, it's nothing completely bleeding obvious that will
> humiliate me in front of my peers ;-)
>

> --

Andrew Harris
and...@woowoowoo.com