If the HTML is incorrect, you cannot expect anything to be consistent.

Yes, I did mention in my original post that the site no longer validates owing to the JS for the database. As I am not familiar with php and js, my associate is responsible for all database work and he fits it into my design. Lack of lowercase is no doubt the main cause of many of the errors. I know there is styling in the HTML instead of it being in the CSS but not sure what I can do about it as I wouldn't like to fiddle too much with his work.