From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Dave Lane
Sent: 26 February 2010 19:37
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Standards based Drupal WYSIWYG Editor

We make extensive use of TinyMCE with Drupal (we're a Drupal development
shop) - it's not perfect, but it does offer a lot of flexibility regarding
acceptable tags, and we've been able to get it to provide XHTML compliant
code. Combined with filters like Tidy, it's possible to ensure that you
don't get non-compliant code being entered.

<rant>The biggest issue is the complexity of cleaning up cut-pasted content
from MS Word... *that's* a problem. TinyMCE offers a "Paste from Word"
function which strips most of the rubbish from Word-produced content, but
it's a pain to use... or people assume that anything coming from MS Word is
clearly well suited for the web... We spend a lot of time trying to
discourage people from using Word for authoring web content, because it's a
very poor tool for doing so, but we have a hard time suggesting a palatable
alternative (people seem to find the idea of composing content in the actual
TinyMCE interface totally absurd, which doesn't make much sense to
me...).</rant>

Regards,

Dave

On 27/02/10 07:32, Kepler Gelotte wrote:
>> Just spent a day with FCKEditor only to find that there appears to be
>> no way to have site CSS appear in the "Style" dropdown, w/o transforming
> the
>> CSS into XML.
>
> That is not entirely accurate. The fckstyles.xml tells the editor which
> styles the user can apply and how to apply them. The actual CSS definition
> is defined in your CSS file and can be modified without updating the
> fckstyles.xml again.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Kepler Gelotte
> Neighbor Webmaster, Inc.
> 156 Normandy Dr., Piscataway, NJ 08854
> www.neighborwebmaster.com
> phone/fax: (732) 302-0904

Dave Lane, Egressive Ltd d...@egressive.com m +64212298147 p +6439633733
http://egressive.com  Free/OpenSourceSoftware: because to share is human
Only use Open Standards - w3.org, Drupal powers communities - drupal.org
Effusion Group http://effusiongroup.com Software Patents kill innovation