Well, well, well, you learn something new every day eh?

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 9:47 AM,  <kevin_erick...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Just cancel on the login but load the page into the test site please to see
> the results.

I still couldn't get into a page, but it doesn't matter - I think I
see the problem.

According to dot-mobi: "For XHTML-MP, the recommended MIME type is
application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml or application/xhtml+xml. Unlike HTML,
XHTML-MP should not be served as text/html."

Consequently the mobile site I maintain at: http://m.unimelb.edu.au
also generates a warning. On the other hand, I get the feeling it's
pretty much an 'edge case' as far as failure goes. Serving as
text/html isn't going to break many browsers. I suspect only most
primitive wap only browsers will fail to load the content. If you look
at dot-mobi's little graph, it indicates that such browsers are likely
to be on mobiles greater than 5 years old - pretty minor stuff given
that, if you're anything like our site, more than 95% of your mobile
traffic is going to be from Apple devices.

However, there's nothing wrong with being fussy, so getting you server
to use the correct MIME type will require you either getting into the
apache.conf file or using .htaccess to set the mime type for the file
extensions you're using. This can get tricky and will break things if
you don't know what you're doing. (I don't!)

In my case - using the MySource Matrix CMS, it's just a matter of
adding a line to the beginning of my mobile template, if you are
running a CMS you may have a similar setting. I'm going to leave that
until Monday when I've got time to back out of it if it causes
problems :-)

--
Andrew Harris
and...@woowoowoo.com