I’ve been racking my brain trying to solve a CSS problem and I was hoping
somebody here can point me in the right direction.  I’m developing a site
that has to work in all modern browsers and IE 6.  Here is the link to a
sample page:

http://www.jasonbyer.com/dev/new/

The problem that I’m having is that currently the page looks fine in IE 6
but in Firefox the navigation doesn’t extend the entire width of the screen.

That's because #mainContent is a float and without a width it shrinkwraps
There are many ways to style this, but fwiw I'd not use float on that
container, I'd make it a block formatting context (e.g.,
overflow:hidden;zoom:1) and then go from there.
As a side note, there is no need to use height:1% on the side bar (it is a
float so it has a layout already)

--
Regards,
Thierry